Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cool critters

Just a couple of quick notes on some animals.

I spent the morning's pit-toilet excursion reading my Menkhorst on Quolls. As 'H' pointed out, the one I saw was not a northern quoll (Dasyurus hallucatus), but rather the spotted-tailed or tiger quoll (Dasyurus maculatus). The species has a disjunct distribution - the southern subspecies (maculatus) only comes up to around southern Queensland, while the endangered northern subspecies (gracilis) occurs only in the wet tropics. D. maculata gracilis is smaller and more lightly built than maculata - in line with my experience as the one I saw down at New England was much chunkier than the one up here.

Speaking of mammals, I also have seen a couple of guinea pigs bizzare little macropods, the Musky Rat-Kangaroos. So far haven't had a good look or the chance to get a photo.

I've spent a couple of days near Kuranda at Speewah campsite. The green-eyed frogs near Kuranda are interesting; they're actually in a hybrid zone between two lineages of Litoria serrata, making them a distinct species, Litoria myola. There's not too much difference between the two species. But seeing as I think I was in the right area, and the call sounded more excited than the serrata I've heard, I present you with what I'm going to call Litoria myola!


Litoria myola

No comments: