Thursday, January 22, 2009

Frogger's paradise continued

I did a bit of frogging on the lowland areas close to Big Crystal. Things felt more familar down here, much like the floodplain areas around Fogg Dam that I got to know so well. Things like the Rocket Frog, Litoria nasuta and the Marbled frog, Limnodynastes convexiusculus. There was even something that reminded me of some sort of cross between Litoria dahlii and Cyclorana australis - that is, the striped burrowing frog, Cyclorana alboguttata.




But it was when I headed back into the rainforest, this time west of Innisfail in Wooroonooran national park that I would be again surprised by the frogs.



The Australian Lace-lid. Nyctimistes dayii. I'm sure I don't need to say much about why these little frogs excite me. The huge black eyes. The veined iris (hard to get a photo of...). The fact that they're a treefrog that isn't a Litoria. I'm blown away.



I can't get enough of them.


The other cool thing was the Mist Frog, Litoria rheocola. A cute little stream frog.

No comments: