Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The North


Cradle Mountain behind Dove Lake

After Narawntapu I visited the Cradle valley for a day - beautiful indeed though rather touristy. I did a fantastic walk - from Dove Lake around in a big loop to the Cradle summit via Hanson's Peak and returning via a section of the overland track and Marion's Lookout. Superb scenery! I saw my first tassie snakes too - a couple of small White lipped snakes (Drysdalia coronoides).

I made camp at the beautiful little Mole Creek where I spotted platypus at dusk. Lots of brushtail possums around including some extremely black ones which I've never seen before.


Hellyer Gorge

I visited a few nice spots over the next few days as I headed westwards towards the northern edge of the Tarkine - Hellyer Gorge, Dip falls. I've been doing as much walking as I can and enjoying the mixed forest and rainforest of this region. The Leatherwoods are in bloom and their petals adorn the forest floor.


Leatherwood petals



Bizzarre yellow flatworm


No comments: